Friday, November 27, 2009

I Heard the Kids on Thanksgiving Day

The kids in my family, besides looking impossibly cute at all times, happen to act the part as well. They are funny and interesting a greater portion of the day than I could ever hope to be. Here are just a few of the gems from Thanksgiving Day I thought I'd share:


9:30 a.m., me waddling into the hotel hot tub with my husband and 4-year-old niece, Charlotte
Charlotte: Uncle Corey was looking at your butt.
Me: Yeah, he does that sometimes.
Charlotte: Why?
Me: Oh, you know...he's silly.
(When is the right time to tell her all guys do this?)

5 p.m., me trying not to break the bench at a kid's table, getting schooled on how to play "Doodle Dice" by three kids all under the age of nine.
Lee: You can play this. It's not complicated.
Carson: Does that mean we can cheat?
(Should I tell him it does in the adult world?)

8 p.m., devouring what's left of the pumpkin pie, talking to Corey's cousin Donna, when her 3-year-old daughter Emily walks in
Me: Can I have one of your pigtails, Emily?
Emily: No!
Me: But they're so pretty. Can I have just one of them?
Emily: No! They came from my house!
(If I told her she was born in a hospital, would she re-think her answer?)


I love kidspeak. It always makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment