Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Typical Weekend In Weston? No Such Thing.

This weekend, while my sister and all her fabulous friends spent their days in San Francisco, celebrating my friend Cindy's bachelorette status, I expected to be depressed for weeks, knowing I would be unable to make the trip due to my finances (or lack thereof.) On top of that, John Hughes' untimely death made me feel not only sad but old, when I had to explain his significance to my 20-something co-workers.

My one comforting thought was that my dad would be visiting for the weekend to enjoy the latest in our popular series of exclusive beer dinners at my husband's pub. What I didn't know was it would be one of the best weekends I've had all summer. This just proves what I've been trying to tell my sister for years--that you can't plan the best moments in lfe; they're always a spontaneous surprise. So be flexible with your time. (She says it's my philosophy because I'm lazy; I say it's because I recognize the power of destiny. You be the judge.)

Over the last two-and-a-half days I've managed to find a Clash of the Titans owl radio
The eyes are the dials!


at an antique show, enjoy reggae at our traditionally Irish-music-only pub, score a free jumbo peach from the Red Barn Farm,
It pays to live in Weston!

meet a guy who at first seemed homeless but turned out to be the coolness,
Peter, the guy bicycling the entire Lewis & Clark trail this summer!


and get drunk with a table full of women who make sailors look like nun candidates.

If I've learned anything this weekend, it's that every day is an opportunity. I could be sad that I missed an important weekend in my friend's life; instead, I've decided to embrace the opportunity I had to enjoy life regardless.

John Hughes wrote it best: Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.


Peter and my dad, laughing at how true and poetic this statement really is!

No comments:

Post a Comment