Saturday, August 22, 2009

In Memory of My Memory




How do you know when you have Alzheimer's disease? I'm not setting up a punch line here; I really want to know. I'm sure there's a test to distinguish between simple memory loss and a disease when you're say, about 40 years older than I am now. But in my 30's (I know, I look dangerously close to my 20's), I really think I'm too young to be having these kinds of memory issues. I'm sure I would be more disturbed than I am, if I didn't forget to be.

Don't believe me?

Exhibit A: Last week I rode in a car for six hours to attend a wedding. About an hour from the ceremony, I remembered the gift. Specifically, that I had never bought one, let alone remembered to bring it with me.

Exhibit B: A coworker gave me a personal check for a very large amount about three months ago in a meeting. Her instructions were to deliver it to another coworker, whose office is right next to mine. Weeks later, said check fell out of my notebook, and I had absolutely no memory of how it got there in the first place.

Exhibit C: While other people I know experience a "brain freeze" when eating ice cream, this has never happened to me. I do, however, experience severe back pain, specifically in my spine, when I eat ice cream.


I think it's clear that everything is not completely traveling up to my brain.

In the last five days alone, I've lost my Starbucks gift card (for anyone who knows me, this is like losing my wallet) and bought grocery items twice, forgetting I bought them the first time. I don't know what the hell is going on here, but if you are reading this, you might want to check in with me sometime soon, before I forget who you are. This is probably also a good time to cash in on any debts you are owed or favors you need.

1 comment:

  1. Currently, the only way to diagnose Alzheimer's disease with complete accuracy is through autopsy. Unfortunately, few patients survive the diagnosis in order to benefit from the treatment that might follow.

    I believe you owe the $113.37 I loaned you two weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete